International PEO providers help companies with global hiring, human resources, payroll, taxes and compliance. Check out our list of the best international PEOs.
Managing a team of international staff members can open up a world of possibilities for your business, allowing access to talent across the globe. However, international workforce management requires companies to follow the guidelines and adhere to the rules involved in employing global teams.
Professional employer organization (PEO) services can eliminate the hassle of international hiring and outsourcing and provide a more secure way for employers to expand their operations abroad.
Read on, as we’ve analyzed the top global PEO companies to help support growing U.S. teams. This article covers the best in the market and provides information on their pricing, key features, pros and cons so you can make an informed choice for your business.
“Global PEO” and “global EOR” are often used interchangeably, but they do have key differences. While PEOs are co-employers with your business in countries where you own a legal entity, an EOR, or employer of record, has the power to directly hire employees on your behalf in countries where you haven’t established a legal entity.
Of all the providers on our list, only Papaya Global bills itself primarily as an international PEO (though it does have an EOR option). The other providers are EORs, though some of them, like Rippling and Deel, also offer domestic PEOs for US-based businesses.
Top international PEO comparison
The following table provides a deeper look at the features and capabilities provided by each PEO or EOR. Take a look at how each option stacks up against one another based on their approaches to these significant international payroll services.
|Starting price||PEO or EOR||Availability||Immigration support||Global tax support||Learn more|
|Papaya Global||$12/mo./employee||Global PEO||160+ countries||Yes||Yes||Try Papaya|
|Oyster||$499/mo./employee*||EOR||130+ countries||Yes||Yes||Try Oyster|
|Deel||$599/mo./employee||EOR + domestic PEO||100+ countries||Yes||Yes||Try Deel|
|Velocity Global||Custom||EOR + payroll platform||185+ countries||Yes||Yes||Try Velocity|
|Horizons||$299/mo./employee||EOR||180+ countries||Yes||Yes||Try Horizons|
Top international PEO for your business
Papaya Global: Best overall international PEO
Papaya Global merges each of the key facets of international PEO into one comprehensive solution. This cloud-based system provides features and capabilities for managing global workforces and supporting international workers with benefits and payroll services. The system even has a self-service portal, which offers global employees, workers and contractors more control and visibility over their payroll and employment information.
With the ability to administer locally compliant payments in over 160 countries, this customizable HRIS has what it takes to support internationally expanding teams. The system also plays well with others, supporting integration connections with third-party tools to sync data between solutions securely. This, along with real-time data monitoring, can allow users to track their business’s HR, payroll and payment data to gain valuable insights and develop accurate reports.
- Full-service payroll: Starts at $12 per employee per month.
- Payroll platform license: Starts at $3 per employee per month.
- Data and insights platform license: Starts at $150 per location per month.
- Payments-as-a-service: Starts at $3 per employee per month.
- Employer of record: Starts at $650 per employee per month.
- Contractor management: Starts at $2 per contractor per month.
- Global expertise services: Starts at $190 per employee per month.
- Automated payments.
- Equity management.
- Workforce analytics.
- Contract management.
- Approval chains.
- Integrates with various popular third-party business software solutions, including Oracle NetSuite and SAP SuccessFactors.
- Offers a high-level of customization options.
- Papaya Personal self-service portal is available in multiple languages.
- Payroll intelligence suite provides reports for payroll, admin, billing, HR and payments data.
- Pricier than most alternative PEOs/EORs.
- Lacks common HR features like training management and performance monitoring tools.
For more information, read our full Papaya Global review.
Oyster: Best EOR alternative
International PEOs can be extremely helpful for companies that want co-employment perks. However, they do require businesses to own local entities in the country they’re hiring within, as per the co-employment arrangement. Unfortunately, this is not always possible for businesses looking to hire international talent fast, so global EORs, like Oyster, enable companies to hire in countries without entities.
Oyster EOR does not operate through a co-employment status. Instead, it acts as the legal employer for the hiring company so that it can easily and compliantly hire new international workforce members without needing to establish local business entities.
- Contractor plan: Starts at $29 per contractor per month.
- Employee plan: Starts at $599 per employee billed monthly, or $499 per employee per month when billed annually.
- Scale plan: Requires a custom quote.
- Automated global hiring.
- Local and global benefits packages.
- Automated workflows.
- Global compliance.
- Country-specific insights.
- Global contractor hiring.
- Offers a free trial and demo of the software.
- Offers benefits and payroll for global workforce members in 120+ currencies.
- Employee plan operates as Oyster’s global employer of record solution in 130+ countries.
- Limited integration capabilities with third-party business software.
- Using Oyster to hire employees can be costly, with the price per employee per month higher in some countries than others.
For more information, read our full Oyster review.
Rippling: Best for comprehensive business management
Along with a robust PEO service for domestic businesses, Rippling offers a thorough employer of record service that supports businesses hiring in most countries. With Rippling’s intuitive, user-friendly platform, hiring and onboarding new employees is straightforward, taking no more than 90 seconds. The software also proactively notifies you of possible compliance infractions, ensuring you can address oversights nearly instantaneously.
Rippling’s modular approach to business software means clients can build custom solutions that support their unique organizations. For instance, Rippling’s finance and IT modules let you onboard employees remotely, manage passwords and tech from afar and sync payroll data instantly with your general ledger.
Rippling offers custom pricing only.
- Proactive compliance notifications.
- Automatic GL syncing.
- Customizable admin privileges.
- Straightforward hiring and onboarding.
- Payments in local currencies.
- Extremely scalable, customizable software.
- Fully featured payroll, HR, finance and IT solutions.
- Personalized customer support.
- Custom, modular pricing may be too expensive for some businesses.
- Limited transparent pricing.
Learn more by reading our Rippling review.
Deel: Best for international hiring
If you are looking to expand your business operations through international hiring, Deel might be the right choice for you. Deel’s global EOR services support businesses in compliantly hiring and managing HR for contractors and employees in other countries.
A stand-out aspect of Deel’s features would be its HR tools that streamline hiring and onboarding. Attracting global talent is easier for businesses that use Deel, as it allows them to provide localized benefits for each country where Deel has a foreign entity. Deel has local entities and partners across the United States and in over 150 international countries.
- EOR: Services for hiring international employees, starting at $599 a month.
- Contractors: Payroll plan for international contractors, starting at $49 a month.
- Global payroll: Multi-country payroll services, requiring a custom quote.
- Deel HR: Automated HR admin and reporting systems, starting at $0.
- Immigration: Services for handling immigration and sponsor visas, requiring a custom quote.
- Deel debit card.
- Worker’s compensation coverage.
- Tax filing.
- Benefits administration.
- Payroll processing.
- Benefits compliance tools.
- Support from 200+ local HR and legal experts.
- Businesses can pay global contractors through 15+ payment methods.
- EOR services available, which assume the compliance risks involved in hiring and compensating international employees and ensuring compliance with local payroll regulations.
- 20+ integration options with third-party solutions.
- Certain features exclusive to higher-cost plans, such as government declarations and contractor misclassification protection.
For more information, read our full Deel review.
Velocity Global: Best for global benefits
Velocity Global was selected as the top choice for companies looking to offer attractive benefits for their international talent. It provides a range of comprehensive benefits so businesses can remain competitive when hiring abroad and improve the retention rates for their global workforce members.
International staff will surely appreciate the employment offerings provided through Velocity Global, including global benefits and international retirement plans. Its global immigration features allow businesses to support their workforce members even when they move internationally, and Velocity Global offers unlimited access to flexible workspaces in 120+ countries.
Velocity Global does not provide pricing information on its website and encourages users to request a custom quote.
- Global payments.
- HR technology.
- Immigration services.
- International pensions.
- Global equity.
- Mobile application.
- Businesses can hire, pay and support staff in over 185 countries and territories.
- Intuitive software simplifies processes involved in compliant global expansion.
- Solution is designed to satisfy the needs of small, medium and large companies.
- Doesn’t provide transparent pricing information online or offer a free trial or demo.
- Website provides limited information.
Horizons: Best for fast-growing businesses
Businesses that are expanding to bring on more workforce members must have a streamlined solution for processing their onboarding, payroll, management and compliance. This is especially true for companies expanding globally. Fortunately, Horizons offers software services to help organizations grow their operations internationally through a co-employment arrangement.
Growing businesses can benefit from the platform plans, which provide tools and capabilities for managing international contractors, full-time global employees or large teams. Its features allow for rapid expansion, and businesses can hire employees in 180+ countries in just 24 hours. Plus, with locally compliant labor contracts, global benefits and contractor payments in 70+ local currencies, Horizons simplifies the operations involved in international business growth.
- Employer of record: Starts at $299 per month.
- International contractors: $49 per month.
- Larger teams: Requires a custom quote.
Businesses can also choose to incorporate any of the following paid add-on services.
- International health insurance: Starts at $80 per month.
- Visas and work permits: Priced at fair local rates for the specific hiring location.
- International recruitment: Priced at fair local rates for the specific hiring location.
- Labor contracts with e-signatures.
- Payslip distribution.
- Invoice approvals.
- Labor contract adjustments.
- Health insurance coverage.
- Onboarding assistant.
- All plans come with features for onboarding assistance for easy expansion.
- Larger Teams plan lets businesses choose between more invoicing capabilities, including the group invoice option or the invoice split option.
- Optional add-on services allow companies to expand the functionality of their plans and can provide more support for processes like international hiring, visa assistance and health coverage.
- Certain features are limited to the EOR or Larger Team plans, like payslip distribution and on-site HR presence.
- No transparent pricing is available online for the Larger Team plan.
Key services of international PEOs
PEOs help organizations ensure the accuracy and efficiency of their international payroll operations. Aspects that are common with international PEOs can include multi-currency support, multiple payment methods and local compliance support for international tax laws. PEOs may also automate the calculation and filing of workers’ taxes according to local tax codes, maintaining up-to-date operations based on countries’ changing tax rates and codes.
Benefits administration tools and services are a common service with PEOs. They provide tools for streamlining HR facets for businesses, including those involved in managing employee benefits in compliance with local regulations.
Businesses expanding into new international markets must maintain compliance with the laws and regulations specific to the countries in which their workforce members reside. PEOs help companies maintain compliance with up-to-date tax regulations, local labor laws and employment standards across various countries and jurisdictions. This enables businesses to carry out HR processes that align with each country’s requirements.
Data involved in employment and payroll for workforce members is highly sensitive and must be securely managed and stored. International PEOs help businesses protect data by securing sensitive information per the data privacy regulations in each jurisdiction. Tracking data can also help company leaders reach actionable insights and develop valuable business reports.
Global tax filing
Global PEOs take tax worries off of the business by processing tax calculations like income taxes, social security contributions and deductions. They can then generate tax reports and appropriate filings for each international jurisdiction. This ensures your company is compliant with each country’s latest tax rates and rules.
How do I choose the best international PEO for my business?
The best international PEO for your business will vary based on your unique needs and circumstances. Consider the specific strengths and weaknesses of each service and how they would align with your current processes.
It would be best to also consider the goals of your organization. For instance, a business that wants to improve its international worker retention could benefit from the impressive benefits offered through Velocity Global. Organizations looking to hire workers abroad may appreciate Deel’s international hiring capabilities or Horizon’s features for fast global expansion.
Of course, a PEO may not be suitable for businesses that do not own local entities abroad. In this case, EOR software like Oyster can be an excellent alternative.
This is a technical review using compiled literature researched from relevant databases. The information provided within this article is gathered from vendor websites or based on an aggregate of user feedback to ensure a high-quality review.